Q. What exactly do you do, Amelia?
I’m a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst, and I specialize in supporting families who are struggling with tough behaviour problems. If you are struggling with daily routines, constant arguments, or just helping your child learn important life skills, I can help.
Every family is unique, so we start with an in-depth look at your strengths and needs.
- We choose behaviour goals that would help everyone get along with less stress, more independence, and greater happiness.
- Along the way, we look for opportunities to add connection, creativity and enjoyment to everyday life.
- We measure progress regularly, so we can stay on track, and we celebrate the positive changes.
- We learn new tools and strategies to make life easier and more fun.
Here are some everyday problems I’ve helped families solve:
- constantly battling siblings
- meltdowns when turning off the iPad
- rowdy bedtimes
- grumpy mornings
- lack of independence
- refusal to shower and brush teeth
- aggression toward peers
- adjusting to a new baby
Q. How do we get started?
To find out whether behaviour therapy can help your family, fill out this form, and book a free 30-minute call with Amelia.
Q. How is a behaviour analyst different from a psychologist or a family counsellor?
Here are some important things to know:
- Behaviour analysts do not perform diagnostic tests.
- Behaviour analysts focus on outcomes first, such as reducing arguments, increasing cooperation, and solving other practical problems. We may talk less about emotions and thoughts than a psychologist or family counsellor.
- Behaviour analysts often solve problems by finding positive alternatives, breaking difficult situations into simple parts, and practicing key skills in creative ways.
- Behaviour analysts practice according to a set of strict ethical guidelines, and base their treatment on research from the field of applied behaviour analysis. They consult with other professionals, such as psychologists, occupational therapists, and speech language pathologists, if they have not been specifically trained to address needs related to mental health, sensory or motor difficulties, or speech and articulation issues.
If you have any other questions, please send me a message! I’m always interested in hearing how I can help.